December 12, 2010

If ornaments could talk...


If this ornament could talk, I wonder what it would say? 
 
Would the first story he would tell be about a young couple 25 years ago who celebrated their first Christmas together snuggled under the glowing lights of their very first Christmas Tree?
 
Would this ornament remember the Christmas when a stupid cat name Shadow couldn't resist knocking down the Christmas tree, and almost setting the house on fire?
 
Im sure this ornament would burst with excitement as it told the story of the countless years a growing family laughed, sung, fought, played, cried, and prayed during the crazy month of December.

Without a doubt this ornament would tell the story of that Christmas 6 years ago when a family of five, who used to be six, snuggled under the glowing lights of the tree, not in joyous laughter but in reverence and heartache as their hearts yearned for the women who was everything to them.

I hope this ornament remembers last year's Christmas when my father solemnly passed this ornament, the last one left of my parents first Christmas together, down to me. Now it will hang atop my tree for Robbie and I to make Christmas memories of our very own.

3 comments:

  1. Over the 40 years Kent and I have been married, I have collected ornaments everywhere we have gone. When the kids were young we also made ornaments every year. I gave many of the handmade ornaments away but I always kept three. One for us and one for each for Roger and Rachel to start their own family traditions. It hasn't happened yet but they are safely tucked into a box waiting for them.

    Love you Jessica!

    Aunt Barb

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this! I also love the idea, passing down ornaments. Can't wait to see you guys.

    ReplyDelete