November 20, 2010

Being Offended

I've been questioned if I have horns, wear long dresses all day, while having my hair look like a beehive, and people wondering if I am Robbie's only wife.

I have been asked "why" I don't drink alcohol, wait for marriage to have sex, why I choose to dress modestly(especially wondering why I don't wear bikinis), and why I don't drink coffee.

People have inquired of "Jo" Smith, the gold bible, and believing in such things as modern day prophets.

.....................


All these "questions" that people have asked me are issues of controversy. Such questions could take someone out of their comfort zone. It can be difficult sometimes to interpret whether people are asking questions out of mere curiosity, or if they are trying to criticize my religious views.

This video below is a good guide that can help anyone decide whether something should be taken as offensive.

Dennis Prager on being offended from Bobby Earle on Vimeo.

I STRONGLY, PASSIONATELY, believe asking questions and having different views is what makes the world a better place. There is nothing worse than when I have a question regarding someone's views about life but I can't ask them because I fear offending them.

Like the advice this video gives, "only be offended when malice was intended, not when a mistake(or in the case, curiosity) was made.



If anyone out there wonders anything about me or my beliefs, please don't ever hesitate to ask me. If you would like to contact me via e-mail, please know questions are ALWAYS welcomed! jessyrae1030@gmail.com

2 comments:

  1. i meant that because you are a nice person...and i cant imagine you really getting offended anyhow...but sometimes it happens. i am sure you handle the questions well though =)

    ReplyDelete